Tuesday 15 January 2013

Vintage shadow box

I took advantage of the beautiful weather on Saturday afternoon and went out for a run around the neighbourhood. I like to take a route that passes by The Chief Salvage Co. on Dundas West.


The store carries a strange assortment of curios including scientific artifacts, postcards, old souveniers, animal jaws and taxidermy. I love to stop in and poke around to see what's new in the store. On Saturday a large shadow box in the front window caught my eye. I stopped to ask the price, and then ran on.

On Sunday morning the shadow box was still on my mind, so we took the kids and the dog out for a walk so Alan could take a look at it. And we bought it. It now holds a place of honour over the sideboard in the living room.



I love the splash of colour that it adds to the room.


And I love the old frame, with its weathered, rough cut lumber on the back, and wavy antique glass in front.

While we were walking home from the store we were stopped by two people who asked if they could take pictures of it. That's a first for any purchase I've ever made. Let me know if you see it instagrammed!

1 comment:

  1. You have such a great eye for origional and unique!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...