Sunday 20 January 2013

A thing of beauty

Well, after a couple hours of elbow grease yesterday, I have a beautiful new finish on my dining room buffet.


And sore arms to boot. Since it was only the top that needed sanding and I didn't want to (and couldn't, alone) move it out to the porch, I sanded it by hand. I have belt and random orbital sanders, but I find that they kick up way more dust than sanding by hand does. The sanding is faster, but the cleanup takes so.much.longer. When I sand by hand I just keep the vacuum nearby and suck up the little piles of dust as I go.

So I spent a little more than an hour sanding it down, and about three quarters of an hour applying two coats of lemon oil to go from this


to this.


The difference is almost impossible to believe - I should have tackled this project several years ago!

Unfortunately, now my china cabinet looks extra bad by comparison.....

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!! What an amazing difference! You've totally inspired me. My grandma's hope chest is more than I can handle at the moment but I will keep it in mind as a DIY. Super great job!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...