Saturday 19 January 2013

Saturday morning mess

This is what my living room looks like this morning.


We bought a new sectional for the family room just before Christmas. Unfortunately, when it arrived it had two holes in the seat of the chaise.



And it's taken until now to get a replacement. The boys are off at hockey for a few hours, and I'm stuck here waiting for the delivery guys to arrive.

While I'm waiting I was doing some dusting and decided that today is the day that I'll tackle the top of the buffet in the dining room. I bought it about 8 years ago at an antique store. It was in pretty bad shape, so I stripped off all of the old finish. When I had it all sanded, I decided that I'd use an oil finish on it instead of polyurethane. The oil really brought out the beautiful grain.


It still looks really beautiful on the vertical surfaces. But a number of years ago we had a cleaning lady who loved to use Pledge. And I had no idea what a terrible idea this was. The top of the buffet ended up with some damage. There are a tonne of streaks


and a bunch of black marks where things that have been set on it damaged the bare wood.


Today's the day that I tackle fixing this up. And I need to decide if I should stick with the oil finish (which I admit that I haven't regularly maintained) or coat it with polyurethane. Any thoughts one way or the other?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...