Saturday 29 December 2012

The laundry room

Today is the day that I'm finally going to tackle the laundry room - and I'm posting it here to make sure that I feel pressure to actually make some movement on it.

There's a fair amount of work to be done. The ceiling is painted, but the walls are only primed and some of the woodwork is still bare. The wood countertop (from Ikea) needs to be sanded smooth and then varathaned. And I plan to put up some drying racks on the walls over the counter. Something along the lines of these ones.


Our laundry room is long and narrow - approximately 8' x 5.5'. It's hard to believe looking at it now that it was our main family bathroom for 10 years.


While we were renovating the family room/kitchen I decided to get the 36" gas range that I had been lusting after for years. This necessitated the removal of the base cabinet between the fridge and the stove. It was replaced with a unit half the width of the original bank of drawers and we reused the drawers in the laundry room. We had to use one of the drawer faces in the kitchen, so our contractors replaced both drawer faces on the unit with MDF so that they match each other. I plan to paint the cabinetry and trim all white, so they'll be unified.


We will, of course, be replacing the beautiful bare-bulb light fixture.


With a shiny chrome chandelier that I picked up at the Habitat for Humanity Restore.


I though it was great as is, but when I got it home and unpacked it, there was sparkly bling to hang on it.



Now comes the hard part - luring Alan back up on the ladder to hang it for me with the last light-hanging fiasco still fresh in his mind!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...