Monday 26 August 2013

New garden bench

We have a new bench in our teeny-tiny little front yard.


I've been thinking about putting some kind of seating out front for a while. The boys like to play hockey on the sidewalk and in the empty lot across the street. Cal is still only 7, so I like to be able to keep an eye on him, but we had no place to sit out front.

Enter this absolutely hideous pink bench. Complete with an inexplicable yellow swath of paint on the back.


I had plans to just paint it, but while I was scraping the paint off of the seat I realized that the wood was a little rotten and should be replaced. And I wasn't crazy about the seat back - it kind of reminded me of a crib. I loved the curve of the ends, though, so instead of just chucking the thing I tore off the back, sanded the arms, dribbled in some glue them to firm them up and built a new seat.


And after a coat of primer and a couple of coats of cream coloured paint, I had a cute little bench for the front garden.


Cal and I sat on it last night while we waited for our friend Kyle to pick the boys up for a couple of days at their cottage. It was nice to sit out in the warm evening with my boy, chat about life and watch the world go by. I hope we have plenty more nice evenings this year to sit on our bench and shoot the breeze. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...